Hi, I am Sarah. I’m a manager of a simple beauty parlor: we have the best prices and certified professionals. You have perhaps used services like ours at some point in your life. All companies have their own secrets and you should know about them before you go to hairstylists.
Especially for BUZZ IDEA, I will tell you what happens behind the scenes of many beauty parlors and if expensive hair processes are really worth it.
Some processes are not worth the money
• Botox hair treatment is especially popular: after the hair is wrapped with a special product, it becomes silky, shiny, and elastic, and it doesn’t break as often. Firstly, this product will brighten your hair by 1-2 tones. And secondly, 2-3 months later, the effect of the Botox will keep off and the hair will look exactly the way it was before the process, or even worse. For making it silky and shiny again, you will have to pay at least $70 to a beauty parlor, many times a year (the longer your hair, the more it will cost). If you are not ready to pay this much for the process, then don’t even start.
• Another process among the salon’s presentations is cutting with hot scissors. This hit costs 2 times more than a regular haircut, because special thermal scissors are used. And they heat the ends of hair, which stops split ends. But if you get haircuts regularly, your hairstylist removes the split ends in any case. Most people apply this service once and don’t see the point of paying for it once more.
• Very often, customers are frustrated after they have their hair laminated: yes, the hair becomes more brighten and silky, but the product gets failed within two weeks. One of our customers once came to us in tears: she had her hair laminated in another salon. She washed her hair twice and it looked as if she had never had the process.
• The same works for Brazilian keratin treatment: these are not treatment processes but cosmetic in nature. Helpful nutrients aren’t able to get inside the hair; it is just that the product covers the hair from the outside and makes it apparently thicker and smoother. And such as any hair dye, it gets washed off within a few weeks and the hair looks just like it was before.
• From my experience in communicating with customers and watching the professional’s job, it is possible to keep the healthy state of your hair without very expensive salon processes. It is enough to have the ends cut regularly, do not use a curling iron too often, to use thermal protection products before using a hairdryer, and to use special creams for the ends of the hair. And for sure, don’t torture your hair with lightening processes.
• An interesting fact about hair dyeing: about 95% of our customers dye their hair in balayage color and ombre looks. It is even difficult to tell them from one another. And the girls that stand out are the ones with a more natural hair color or a solid color hair. It is cheaper to have one-color hair and the hair damage is minimal.
Sometimes, you are blatantly deceived.
• Some “advanced” beauty parlors teach their employees to trick their customers: they use cheap products that look like expensive ones and they apply expensive hair masks without asking for the customer’s permission and then include them in the bill. Truthful professionals mix the hair dye right in front of their customers and always ask them if they want any additional processes. You have the right to not pay for what you didn’t ask for.
• Some dishonest hairstylists hide bad hair color dye jobs using tonics. Such us, the yellow color can be hidden with a violet shampoo. The real color will appear after you wash your hair at home. If this happens, go to the salon and tell them what happened — they have to fix all of their errors. And if it is impossible to fulfill the necessary color from the first attempt, they have to tell you about this in advance.
• Always be careful to the certificates of the hairstylists: good professionals take courses in order to improve their level. This is especially important when they have to do a hard dye job. There are many techniques nowadays, and it is impossible to learn all of them just by watching tutorial videos. If you are not sure about a hairstylist, ask for a certificate; don’t take their word for it.
• Even the most expensive beauty parlors may try to cheat you. One of our employees told us that her previous boss made them wash disposable gloves, and fill the bottles of expensive products with cheap ones because she wants to save more money.
About failed expectations
“How is it even possible to straighten my hair like the salon does?”
• There is a well known point of view that some hairstyles look great on anyone. Otherwise, some classic shapes look good on almost any face. But before getting a haircut, always take the advice of the professional. If they are sure that your hair type will not match up great with a certain cut, it is probably true: after the cut and styling you will look good but what are you supposing to do the next day when you wake up? You’re going to use curling irons and other devices.
• If you decided to change your hair color dramatically, but before, you used to use henna to dye it, make sure that your hairstylist knows about it. Natural henna has a strong and resilient pigment color, unlike artificial dyeing products. The result of dyeing hair that has been dyed with henna may be unpredictable.
• Bad news for those who want to dye their hair an unusual color, such as, green, blue or violet. These colors don’t last long. And in order to prolong the brightness, you’re going to have to do the process again every month.
• One of our regular customers had been dyeing her hair red color for a long time and then she decided to change it into violet. We had to do the wash 3 times, then we dyed the hair, and then we toned it. The hair was pretty long, so the process took 6 hours. For a year, the girl was struggling trying to keep the color and the same style — the color was pinkish and dirty, and the hair was hard to style, and became very thin and fragile.
• By the way, for bright hair, there is a little trick: due to not spoil your hair, you can use hair extensions (just a few locks). You can dye them any color you like and change them for the next 5 years.
And about the characteristics of customers
• We aren’t the most expensive parlor in the town and the prices are pretty attractive. But some customers still try to make us give them a considerable discount. Sometimes, the parlor meets them midway, but you should understand that the price of the haircut also includes washing the hair with professional shampoo, using a hair conditioner, and styling the hair. A customer that wants to pay less only gets the haircut. And the funniest thing is that some customers still end up frustrated — they want the whole services for half the price.
• Once, a customer asked us to style her hair — she wanted curls. The hairstylist did the job, and then she left for her corporate party. After two days, she came back and asked for a refund. She thought that the curls would stay for 2 weeks!
Have you ever had an expensive hair services? Which services do you think are not worth to pay for and which can only be done by a professional?